Terms & Conditions
- These Terms and Conditions may be changed by the San Diego Collaborative Arts Project (“SDCAP”) at any time on or prior to YOUtopia 2018: Vintage Future Playground (the “Event”), and if so, the revised Terms and Conditions will apply to you. The current version can be found at: YOUtopia 2018 Terms and Conditions. Your use of a ticket or other entry credential for entry to the Event signifies your binding agreement to the Terms and Conditions in effect at the time of your entry to the Event.
- Your ticket PDF includes the Waiver and Release. Please print, sign the waiver and bring both to be admitted at the gate. You certify that if you sign a waiver and release form on behalf of any minor child that you have the right to do so. VALID ID (driver’s license, passport or state or military ID card) showing your date of birth is required and the name on your ID MUST match the name entered when you purchased your tickets, or you will not be admitted to the Event.
- All sales are final. No refunds or exchanges will be issued for any reason. Fees are non-refundable. In alignment with the Decommodification Principle, one of Burning Man’s Ten Principles, EVENT TICKETS AND VEHICLE PASSES MAY NOT BE SOLD FOR ADDITIONAL MARKUP BEYOND THEIR FACE VALUE, SOLD FOR PRIVATE PROFIT, OR UTILIZED TO PROMOTE OR RAISE FUNDS FOR ANY OTHER COMPANY OR PROJECT. You understand that if you attempt to sell or sell an Event ticket or vehicle pass for above face value; purchase a ticket or vehicle pass with the intention of reselling it for above face value; offer a ticket or vehicle pass as a reward or prize in any sweepstakes, auction, contest, game, drawing, or fundraising campaign without SDCAP’s prior written authorization; or offer an Event ticket or vehicle pass for sale as part of a travel package that includes shelter, meals, or other amenities at the Event, SDCAP has the absolute right, in its sole discretion, to cancel any such ticket or vehicle pass without notice. Once cancelled, the ticket or vehicle pass will be null and void and will not grant the holder any right to enter the Event, and SDCAP will not have any liability to refund any of the purchase price to the purchaser or his or her assignee.
- If you are obtaining tickets and/or vehicle passes for, or providing any tickets and/or vehicle passes to, any other person(s), you recognize that you are acting as that person’s agent in obtaining the tickets and/or vehicle passes, and due to this agency relationship, you agree to these Terms and Conditions on behalf of any person to whom you deliver any of the tickets and/or vehicle passes you obtain, and you shall notify any such person of these Terms and Conditions when you deliver a ticket and/or vehicle pass to them. If you have obtained a ticket and/or vehicle pass from another person, you also agree to these Terms and Conditions when the ticket and/or vehicle pass is delivered to you.
- Tickets, credentials, and vehicle passes are revocable licenses that may be revoked by SDCAP for any reason, including without limitation assisting people with unauthorized or un-ticketed entry to the Event. This ticket is not subject to any refund and shall bear no cash value. If issued complimentary or at a discount, this ticket shall not be exchangeable. Tickets obtained from unauthorized sources may be lost, stolen or counterfeit, and if so are void. This ticket cannot be replaced if lost, stolen or destroyed, and is valid only for the Event for which it is issued. EVENT MANAGEMENT RESERVES THE RIGHT, without refund of any portion of the ticket purchase price, to refuse admission to or eject any person whose conduct is deemed by management to be disorderly, who uses vulgar or abusive language or who fails to comply with these or other management rules.
- You agree to read and abide by these terms and all information listed in the 2018 Venue Guide.
- You consent to have medical treatment that may be deemed advisable in the event of injury, accident, and/or illness during any program, event, or activity at the Event. You release SDCAP and all persons participating in any such medical treatment from all responsibility for any such actions.
- You understand that children under 18 years of age can attend the Event only if accompanied by a parent or guardian, and that if you bring a minor to the Event you agree to the contractual terms contained in these Terms and Conditions on behalf of the minor and represent that you have the right to do so. If you are the parent or guardian accompanying a minor you further agree to abide by all additional terms and conditions in the Parent/Guardian Agreement [LINK COMING SOON] and acknowledge that any failure to do so may result in you and the minor(s) for whom you are responsible being expelled from the Event.
- You acknowledge that all vehicles, including trucks, trailers, and recreational vehicles, entering the Event are subject to search by gate staff for stowaways, animals, guns, glass, fireworks, handheld or high-powered lasers, or other prohibited items.
- SDCAP is not liable for acts of God, the weather, strikes, protests, or actions taken by government agencies and similar causes. You understand that tickets and vehicle passes are non-refundable even if the Event is terminated early or canceled, or entry conditions are modified, due to harsh weather, acts of nature, governmental regulation, the failure to obtain required permits, or conditions beyond SDCAP’s control.
- You understand that (1) you must bring enough food, water, shelter, and first aid to survive the duration of the Event; (2) guns, fireworks, rockets, and other explosives are prohibited unless specifically authorized by SDCAP; (3) handheld lasers of any kind are prohibited; (4) this is a LEAVE NO TRACE, pack it IN, pack it OUT event; and (5) you are asked to contribute 2 hours of campground cleanup in addition to cleaning up your own camp. (6) You must have a fire extinguisher of suitable size and type accompanying any fire art, cook stove/grill or generator.
- You understand that commercial vending of any kind, including without limitation the provision of any goods or services delivered to or at the Event for a prepaid fee, is prohibited except as authorized by SDCAP and permitted by the La Jolla Band of Luiseño Indians (the “Band”) as applicable.
- You understand that some participants at the Event may engage in expressive activity and dress, which may include partial nudity or nudity and other types of expressive activity. You agree that such expressive activity and dress is neither indecent nor offensive to you, and that you have decided to attend the Event with full knowledge that such expressive activity and dress may occur. If you are accompanied by minors at the Event, you acknowledge that you have made a choice that the minors may be exposed to the expressive activities and dress that take place at the Event, and that you have exercised parental responsibility and control in bringing the minors to the Event. Should you find that any activity at the Event is offensive to you, or to any minors accompanying you, you acknowledge that you can avoid such activity by, among other things, leaving the vicinity of the activity or leaving the Event.
- By entering the Event, all participants agree to the following terms, conditions, and guidelines for the use of any imagery obtained at the Event, including still photographs and videos (hereinafter “Event Imagery”). Cameras are welcomed at the Event and are an important part of YOUtopia’s storytelling history. YOUtopia monitors dissemination of Event Imagery for two primary reasons: (1) to preserve the principle of Decommodification by ensuring that photographs and videos from the Event are not used for advertising or commercial purposes; and (2) to protect participants’ right to privacy, freedom of expression, and creative immediacy. Participants may use Event Imagery for “Personal Use,” defined to include: (A) sharing with friends and family; (B) displaying on personal websites (as long as the website does not sell any product or service, and does not purport or appear to be an official website of the Event or SDCAP); and (C) displaying on personal accounts on photo-sharing and social networking websites, such as Flickr and Facebook (as long as the display of the Event Imagery on these sites is not commercial or promotional in any manner and the account is not affiliated with any commercial enterprise).
YOU UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THAT YOU MAY NOT MAKE ANY USE OF EVENT IMAGERY WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM SDCAP, OTHER THAN PERSONAL USE (as defined above). You understand that you have no right to sell, transfer, license, sublicense, or give your Event Imagery to any other party, except for Personal Use, and you agree to inform anyone to whom you give any Event Imagery that it can only be used for Personal Use. Without the prior written consent of SDCAP, which may be granted or withheld in SDCAP’s sole discretion, you understand that you may not use in any advertisement, promotional materials (including music videos), or in the title or on the cover of any publication designed for public dissemination (other than blog posts), any (a) Event Imagery, or (b) copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property owned or licensed by SDCAP or Burning Man.
If you post, or allow to be posted, any Event Imagery on a personal website or a website controlled by a third party, even if permissible as Personal Use, you agree that: (I) you will place, or cause to be placed, on any webpage on which such Event Imagery is displayed a notice that (a) the Event Imagery can be used only for the poster’s personal use and not for any other purpose, and (b) the Event Imagery may be downloaded or copied only in accordance with a Creative Commons license that prohibits the licensee from using the Event Imagery for commercial purposes, including CC BY-NC, CC BY-NC-SA, and CC BY-NC-ND (available at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/); (II) you will not license any Event Imagery that contains any nudity or partial nudity (including any imagery in which bare breasts, bare buttocks, genitals, or genital areas are visible); and (III) if SDCAP notifies you that any such images must be removed, for any reason whatsoever in SDCAP’s sole discretion, you will promptly remove or cause to be removed those images. You understand that use of the Creative Commons’ licenses approved herein does not supersede these Terms and Conditions, nor your responsibility as the photographer or videographer to obtain all necessary permissions from subjects and artists as appropriate.
SDCAP forbids any use (other than Personal Use) of Event Imagery that contains nudity presented in a sexual context and/or without the express written permission of the subjects. Violations or suspected problems of this nature should be reported to YOUtopia Rangers and/or Media (at the Event) or to BOD@sdcap.org (year-round).
The YOUtopia community grows primarily by word of mouth. SDCAP does little to solicit attention from media companies about the Event, and does not seek to grow the Event by exposure through the mass media. SDCAP does support the presence of the press, and encourages the free expression of news reporters, storytellers, small groups documenting special projects, cultural or fine art photographers, and creative authors/researchers or academics, but all such uses require a written agreement with SDCAP in order to use Event Imagery. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You acknowledge that people are using film, video, and photographic cameras at the Event, and that your image may be captured on film, video, or photographs that may subsequently be displayed or disseminated without your consent or payment of compensation to and you release SDCAP from any liability due to such filming, photographing, or dissemination.
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND FULLY UNDERSTAND THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS, AND YOU DO SO KNOWINGLY AND VOLUNTARILY WITHOUT ANY INDUCEMENT OR DURESS.