Fire pits and other group heat sources are allowed only in approved burn barrels and only with prior authorization from the Fire Safety team (which may revoked at any time by any Safety Department personnel or Event staff)
Event & Venue Policies
Respecting the event and it's attendees
Things to Remember as a Participant
- If at any time you are uncomfortable with someone photographing you, you have the right to ask them to stop and delete the photo. If they do not, find someone with a radio and alert our staff.
- Some camps have been designated as “No Photo” zones, be respectful of these boundaries or you will be asked to leave.
- YOUtopia Media Team will be clearly identified with a tag letting you know who they are. Unless you see this tag, they are not part of our team. The photos taken by our team members will be gathered into a collaborative gallery after the event and shared with the community. We will have a separate gallery for members of the community to post their shots of the event!
- Be aware that there are many folks who bring cameras on-site who are not members of our YOUtopia Media Team, and they may capture your image or record you.
- ALL generators must have an accompanying appropriate fire extinguisher (for most folks this will be an ABC fire extinguisher) of sufficient size and ready to use.
- Generators must be placed in an area that is free of debris, and other flammable materials.
- Fuel must be stored a minimum of 10ft from the generator and any other heat sources, and out of direct sunlight. Your fuel storage area must have a “No Smoking” sign posted.
- Generators must be completely shut down prior to beginning refueling.
- Absolutely no smoking while refueling.
- Gasoline fueled generators must be attended when in operation at YOUtopia. Unattended generators WILL be shut off, and locked out. To unlock your generator visit Safety HQ or ask anyone on the Fire Safety team. We don’t want to inconvenience you, but we are committed to preventing unintended fires. Exceptions to this rule may be made on a case-by-case, site specific basis, but ONLY IF approved in advance. Please contact Fire Safety if you are seeking such an exception.
How loud is your generator? A lot of generators are loud and if yours is, as a courtesy to yourself and your neighbors, please incorporate sound baffling in your generator plans. If this is your first time baffling a generator please remember to use fire retardant materials in the lining and allow enough breathing room to prevent your baffle from becoming tinder. A properly baffled generator can be placed wherever the Fire Safety team requires it without the noise keeping you, your campmates, or the neighbors from complaining.
- Bring your own water wherever you go.
- If you feel yourself becoming ill, tell a friend what you’ve taken so they can share that information with medical personnel.
- If you don’t know what’s in something, it’s best not to drink or eat it.
- Remember that we live in a world where intentional dosing with intent to assault — sometimes referred to as “date rape” – happens. It is important for all participants to be aware of this risk and exercise appropriate caution.
- If you feel like you have been dosed without your knowledge, immediately call for help or call for a Ranger.
- If you see someone who appears to be overly intoxicated, ask them if they need help. If they do, or if you don’t think they’re in a state to answer safely, get help. Rangers can be easily identified (they wear khaki) and they are always willing to help. You can also ask anyone wearing a radio.
- If you or someone you’re with is feeling overwhelmed, don’t worry. There are services at YOUtopia to support you. YOUtopia provides a safe space and trained peer counsellors to help people going through challenging emotional or psychological processes. There are also participant-run camps that offer safe spaces around YOUtopia for people going through such experiences. Seek them out.
- For assistance, or to report a crime or dangerous incident, go to Safety HQ, wave down a Ranger, Security, or Event staff.
Remember, YOUtopia is our community, and we need to look out for each other